Portuguese Linguistics MA
Interested in our MA programs?
Call or email us to schedule an on-campus visit to learn more!
Pre-requisites for Candidates
- Bachelor’s degree in Portuguese or other subject. If in another subject, you must have Portuguese courses equal to our Portuguese minor. Additional information may be obtained from the Linguistics Section Head or from the Graduate Coordinator.
- Proficiency in a second foreign language; through 205 course level for Spanish (Intermediate High), or through 201 level for other modern languages (Intermediate Mid-level). If not completed during undergraduate studies, this requirement may be fulfilled by challenge exam, or concurrently with MA program coursework no later than the third semester of study.
- For teaching eligibility, complete a teaching methods class (PORT 377 or equivalent). If not completed during undergraduate studies, this requirement may be fulfilled concurrently with MA program coursework in the first semester of study.
- Strong academic writing skills and a capacity to conduct independent research.
- Strong language skills in Portuguese.
- GRE required.
- Complete the required 27 hours of coursework and 6 project or thesis hours, totaling 33 credit hours.
- Students must teach at least one semester during their program of study.
- Complete a specialty exam which covers readings and coursework.
- Completion of a project or thesis.
- The Department of Spanish and Portuguese typically provides scholarships for 50-80% of LDS tuition for required classes.
- Paid student instructorships are available.
For More Information, Contact:
Merrie Kay Ames, Graduate Program Manager ~ email@example.com
Brian Price, Graduate Coordinator ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Willis Fails, Associate Professor of Portuguese Linguistics ~ email@example.com
Lynn Williams, Linguistics Section Head ~ firstname.lastname@example.org