The BYU Department of Spanish and Portuguese and the Center for Language Studies are pleased to offer the following three forms of recognition and academic credit for graduates of Utah Dual Language Immersion (DLI) programs in Spanish and Portuguese.
BYU Language Certificate
The BYU Language Certificate provides official language skill recognition with:
- An official annotation of the student’s second language advanced coursework and language proficiency placed on the BYU transcript.
- Proficiency certificates for speaking and writing with endorsements from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
In order to earn a Language Certificate there is (1) a coursework requirement and (2) a proficiency requirement.
- Coursework requirement. Students who complete the three Spanish or Portuguese DLI bridge courses in a Utah high school with a grade of B- or better fulfill the coursework requirement for the Language Certificate and are eligible to take the language proficiency assessments as explained below.
- Proficiency requirement. There are two proficiency assessments that must be completed:
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
- Writing Proficiency Test (WPT)
Students must receive a proficiency rating of Advanced Low or better on either the OPI or the WPT in order to qualify for the Language Certificate.
For more information, please visit here.
Advanced Placement Examination Credit
We are pleased to offer the following course credits for students who have taken the Advanced Placement Spanish Language Exam:
|Score on AP Exam||BYU Courses Fulfilled||Credit Hours||BYU General Education Core Fulfilled|
|3||SPAN 205, 311R, 312R||8||Languages of Learning|
|4||SPAN 205, 206, 311R, 312R,||11||Languages of Learning|
|5||SPAN 205, 311R, 312R, *321||11||Languages of Learning|
*Please note that SPAN 321 will count toward a Spanish major or minor at BYU and is the prerequisite course for all other 300- and 400-level Spanish classes.
If BYU has not received your AP scores and you desire to receive credit for them, please refer
here for more information.
Transfer Credit for DLI Bridge Courses
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers the following transfer credits for students who have completed the Spanish or Portuguese DLI bridge courses in high school.
|Bridge Course||BYU Spanish Course||Credit Hours|
|SPAN 3118 ||SPAN 330 Introduction to Spanish Literature||3|
|SPAN 3116 (Pop Culture – Film, Media and Entertainment)|
or 3117 (Breaking Down Walls, Building Identities)
|SPAN 457R Special Topics in Spanish American Culture||3|
*Please note that SPAN/PORT 322 and SPAN/PORT 395R will count toward a Spanish or Portuguese major or minor at BYU.
Bridge courses that have been completed must be included in the BYU admission application. For more information, see https://admissions.byu.edu/transfer-credits