The Undergraduate Catalog is the official resource for course requirements for the Portuguese Major. See the above link for more information.
Because the Portuguese B.A., a liberal arts degree, provides preparation in a variety of useful fields rather than a single career track, it is strongly recommended that StDev 317, a 2-credit-hour course, be taken at the end of the sophomore year or the beginning of the junior year.
This course is recommended to help liberal arts students focus on specific educational and occupational goals as well as identify the career options or educational opportunities available to them. The course will introduce students to the resources needed for accessing information about graduate schools, internships, careers, and career development. Students will learn basic employment strategies, including the steps necessary for obtaining employment related to their own specialty.
Important Notes for Returned Portuguese-Speaking Missionaries
- Most returned missionaries should register for PORT 321.
- Returned missionaries who would like more language practice before entering PORT 321 may consider taking PORT 206.
- Credit for some 100- and 200-level Portuguese courses may be awarded through a Challenge Exam administered to students enrolled in PORT 206 and PORT 321. For more information, click below.
Students must complete any 100- or 200-level Portuguese courses they need to prepare for PORT 321 according to their Portuguese experience and proficiency. PORT 321 is the first course that counts toward the Portuguese major, but this does not mean all incoming students will be ready for PORT 321 during their first semester.
For more information, see below.
- PORT 321
- PORT 330
- PORT 345, 355, 447R, or 457R
- PORT 341 or 351
- PORT 322, 323A, or 323B
- PORT 325 or 326
- PORT 360
- 3 elective PORT courses (3.0 credits each)
- For a complete list of potential elective courses, see the Undergraduate Catalog, also linked at the top of the page.
- 2 elective PORT course at the 400/500-level (3.0 credits each)
- PORT 491
- PORT 493 (Capstone Course)
Declare the Portuguese Major
To declare the Portuguese major, you must first meet with a professor of the Department of Spanish & Portuguese.
For more information, please click below.